Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Richard
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:52:58 PM(UTC)
Richard

I have uninstalled Go 2013 and I am trying to install Go 2014. However, when I launch the EXE it says unpacking then stops and says category does not exist and stops the installation. Any idea what I should be looking for to rectify this? Thanks.
Richard attached the following image(s):
ms2014errror.jpg (178kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Justin
#2 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2014 11:30:15 AM(UTC)
Justin

Was thanked: 416 time(s) in 376 post(s)
Could you confirm the below resolves the issue?

A new installation stops near the beginning with the message:
“Category does not exist”.

This error refers to missing or corrupt performance counters in Microsoft Performance Monitor. This can be confirmed by starting Performance Monitor on the affected system and seeing the message:

“Unable to add these counters”

Solution:

Click Start, type cmd, right click cmd.exe, and select Run as administrator. At the prompt type: lodctr /r and press Enter. This will rebuild the performance counters and the installation should continue.

OPTIONAL

After this action it is possible that some counters are disabled. You can check the status with lodctr /q. If it says (Disabled) next to a counter, you can enable it with lodctr /e: [counter name].

Detailed information is available from Microsoft on rebuilding performance counter library values:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300956
Kind regards

Justin

Please remember to thank people who assist you by using the thank option at the top of any useful posts.
 2 users thanked Justin for this useful post.
Jonas on 11/6/2014(UTC), Brad on 5/19/2015(UTC)