Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Francois
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:12:14 PM(UTC)
Francois

Would a GeForce video card help to lower the CPU usage while running XProtect Smart Client?

I need to get a new card that support 3 monitors, 2 monitors to work with Windows and 1 monitor that would show XProtect Smart Client 24/7.

Would the computer benefit from having a high end GeForce card regarding the h264 decoding? Or a basic card would suffice, I was looking to install a GeForce GT640 with 2GB of RAM, but if you tell me that it can befenit then I'll look into getting one with more ram maybe?

Regards
Bo
#2 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 11:38:22 AM(UTC)
Bo

Was thanked: 317 time(s) in 298 post(s)
Basically the answer is no. The XProtect Smart Client does not use hardware acceleration in the Graphics Card GPU. By experience the graphics card should have RAM, but not much, with a modern graphics card we never seems to see trouble that we can blame the graphics card. (OK for your suggestion of card.)

Milestone has research ongoing in utilizing GPU hardware acceleration, we are excited about this prospect but currently it is at a stage where we can say when the Milestone products will benefit from this research.
Yours Sincerely, Bo Andersen
Cameron
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 4:30:05 PM(UTC)
Cameron

I wonder how close they are?

Genetec are really going on about their GPU offloading abilities and I saw it first hand this week.. CPU was <5% - GPU was at 60% and it was running at least 100mbit of H.264 camera feeds.. I think someone said even Verint has GPU offloading

Please Milestone, make this a priority or get left behind the competition!
Torsten
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2015 10:03:36 AM(UTC)
Torsten

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Sorry, no real update here. Work on this is ongoing. I am sure it will be announced via the Milestone newsletter.

Torsten