Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Philip
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:03:42 AM(UTC)
Philip

I have several clients with a few DS-2CD2332 cameras.. They are H264 and on the admin page of each camera they are set that way. But when i look at the camera settings summary in milestone, it says the video format of each camera is MPEG. Why is this? And can this be causing frame drops? I connected the cams to a hikvision dedicated NVR and have 0 frame drops so i was thinking maybe this video format is causing a problem...

Help!

Thanks

Philip
PJW Installations
Michael
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 12:05:51 PM(UTC)
Michael

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 88 post(s)
Hi Philip,

No worries, MPEG is short for MPEG-4 and H.264 is part of this standard. (Usually 1 keyframe every second, and I-frames/motion difference frames in between). This is the most efficient codec, quality per KB wise, so I would expect lesser frame drops with this.
The other alternative would be "MJPEG", which is Motion JPEG, i.e. individual full frames.
Best regards,

Michael W.
Milestone technical support
Philip
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 1:05:20 PM(UTC)
Philip

Thanks for the quick reply... care to take any guesses then why the milestone is dropping frames but when using the Hikvision NVR its smooth and not dropping with the same cameras? What could it be?

Stian
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:02:22 PM(UTC)
Stian

This might be far overdue, but I'll try to give this a shot anyway:
If you have framedrops with H264 you should see artifacts in the video, potentially making the stream totally useless until you get your next p-frame. Have a look at your recordings and see if you've got framedrops there as well. If the recordings are fine, use a separate client for live view, or try installing a proper dedicated graphics card and upgrade to 2016.