Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Duncan
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:17:59 PM(UTC)
Duncan

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
When trying to export any video from xprotect smart client 2014 I get a codec error saying: xprotect smart client has encountered a problem and needs to close. The problem occurs when loading a faulty codec that is installed on your PC. If this problem persists, you should uninstall any codec you do not need. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If I try to export from the web client I just see the export pending with no progress.

My setup is:
New installation of Windows 2012 R2
xprotect go 2014 software
cameras are Logitech c920

There are no additional codec's installed as its a news install of Windows.

Xprotect record fine from the cameras, I just cant export any saved video. Any ideas?

Thanks
Christian
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:35:52 AM(UTC)
Christian

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Dear Duncan,

What codec did you select for your export prior to the error happening?

Have you tried exporting from a non "Server" OS - e.g. Windows 7/8?
- as I suspect a 2012 R2 Server does not come with many default codecs.

The Smart Client does not come with its own set of codes and fully depends on the codecs available from the Windows machine it is installed on, so if the codecs there are somehow broken then I'm afraid we cannot do much about it... apart from installing a 3rd party codec pack or similar.
Kind Regards

Christian

Please remember to thank people who assist you by using the thank option at the top of useful posts.
Duncan
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:06:20 AM(UTC)
Duncan

Hello Christian

When click export in xprotect smart client that when the software crashes with that error. It does not even load the export screen. I've installed xvid codec pack onto the server but I still get the same error.

I had installed the same software on Windows 8.1 previously but I got the same issue. I'm sure I had a older version of xprotect go working ok.

What else can i try?

thanks

Duncan
Steve
#4 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 11:54:09 PM(UTC)
Steve

I had the same problem on my Windows 8.1 machine with Smart Client 2014. Nothing I tried could get past the dreaded codec error crash. (Why isn't there better error trapping?)

I decided to uninstall the 64 bit Smart client, then go download and install the 32 bit 2014 Smart Client -- it worked!!

So try the 32 bit client, even on 64 bit OS's, and you will probably have better luck, at least in my experience.

-Steve

Justin
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:32:36 AM(UTC)
Justin

Was thanked: 416 time(s) in 376 post(s)
Windows has a list of 32 and 64 it codecs so that would explain one working but not the other.

If you have this crash could you send us a mail support@milestonesys.com with as many details as possible and we'll try and get to the bottom of it.
Kind regards

Justin

Please remember to thank people who assist you by using the thank option at the top of any useful posts.
Duncan
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:48:08 PM(UTC)
Duncan

Hi Justin, as requested ive sent support a email, please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks

Duncan
 1 user thanked Duncan for this useful post.
Justin on 9/23/2014(UTC)
Justin
#7 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2014 11:41:11 AM(UTC)
Justin

Was thanked: 416 time(s) in 376 post(s)
Microsoft do supply a "fix it" module related to codecs. Could you please try and run this and see if this resolves the issue?

http://support2.microsof...ideo_freezes_or_crashes/
Kind regards

Justin

Please remember to thank people who assist you by using the thank option at the top of any useful posts.
William
#8 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2015 3:35:24 PM(UTC)
William

I'm having the same problem with Windows 10
Umberto
#9 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 6:13:37 PM(UTC)
Umberto

Same problem on 3 PC with windows 10 64bit. Microsoft has NOT any codec to download for windows 10 nor compatibility mode works to install previous windows codec. Milestone should fix this issue. We can't export records making xprotect useless. I tried also to update my milestone smart client to the latest version (2016) without any result. Same results on other machine with windows 10 x64 CLEAN FRESH INSTALLED AND WINDOWS UPDATED. Thanks for any help and reply.
Umberto
#10 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 7:09:51 PM(UTC)
Umberto

I found the fix that works with all my windows 10 x64 based computers.
First of all run MSINFO32.exe then check the tab components/multimedia: here write down the path of all NON microsoft codec (usually is C:\Windows\System32\ ).
Go to C:\Windows\System32 and rename the NON microsoft codecs adding ".bak" to the end of the file name. Restart your PC and retry to Export.
I suggest to try renaming 1 codec per time till you fund the "faulty" one. In my case the problem was the "PRODAD-CODEC.DLL" .
Hope this can help someone else. :)