Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Simon
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:03:16 PM(UTC)
Simon

Hi,

I'm experiencing what seems, to me, to be a rather odd problem when using the Mobile App on an iPad Air and would be grateful on any advice as to how to resolve this.

Specifically, when using the Mobile app in multi screen mode, all is well. However, when I tap on a picture to bring up the camera in full screen, a static pixelated image appears on the screen (presumably the low res picture from the multi screen view) for between 10 and 15 seconds before the hi resolution camera image is displayed. The picture then keeps up to date fine BUT (based on the timecode on the image) remains approximately 10 to 15 seconds behind real time!

Here's some additional contextual information:

1. The ipad is connected to my Home Wireless network which the speedtest app (ie. connected over wireless to Internet) shows 11ms ping, 138Mbps down and 11.44Mbps up.
2. I didn't experience this problem when trialing Luxriot.
3. I have Xprotect Go with 8 cameras connected running on a gigabit network.
4. The server on which Xprotect Go is installed is an i7 with 32GB of RAM and is making use of a dedicated disk for recording the video and shows no signs of being over taxed.
5. 6 of the cameras are 3MP Hikvision cameras
6. 2 of the cameras are 1MP Vivotek cameras (interesting, they experience the same problem but with delays of roughly 5-8 seconds)
7. All camera streams are set for maximum resolution at 1FPs with the exception of 1 of the Vivotek's which is set at 5fps.
8. No delays experienced when viewing the cameras via the smartclient or directly via there web interfaces.

Any idea as to why this problem is occuring and, more importantly, how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

Torsten
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:03:31 AM(UTC)
Torsten

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Difficult to say.

Do you think you could try with another tablet and/or with an ordinary webbrowser? Just to see if the problem follows, or if it stays with the Apple iPad only.

Could you also mention your application settings? Just to give an impression.

And, BTW, do your cameras stream H.264, and have you enabled "direct streaming"?
  • If yes, the Mobile server sends H.264 to the iPad which then needs to render it.
  • If no, the Mobile Server renders from H.264 to JPEG, not the iPad

Try changing it and see if it makes a difference

Rgds,
Torsten
 1 user thanked Torsten for this useful post.
Simon on 2/18/2015(UTC)
Simon
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:12:54 PM(UTC)
Simon

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for responding to this.

Connecting to XProtect using the SmartClient or directly to the cameras using the Web interface does not exhibit the delay, nor does the use of LiveCams Pro on the iPad. This suggests, to me, that the delay is related to either the iPad app or the Mobile Server service.

I also experience exactly the same problem using my iPhone (5S).

I'm not sure what application settings you are interested in - if you can let me know, I'll be happy to provide them.

As to direct streaming, I checked and whilst enabled it was set to "Do not enforce". Setting it "Enforce" resulted in the iPad not displaying any images. So, I have set it to "Enforce when possible" but the delay remains the same.

Finally, to be clear, I am certain of the delay because I can run the SmartClient on my PC and display just one camera and see the in-camera timecode on the image. At the same time, I run the Milestone app on the iPad, show the same camera, and can see the timecode is approximately 15s behind the PC.

I confess to being deeply perplexed by this (which suggests that either the IOS App or the Mobile Server is buffering the image for some reasons).

Again, any help, most definately appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Simon.
Simon
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2015 12:15:16 PM(UTC)
Simon

Just an addendum,

I believe I've been able to eliminate my iPad / iPhone and wireless network as the cause of the lag.

This is because I have been able to reproduce the problem on my PC which is directly connected to my home network;

Running the Xprotect SmartClient application on the PC, the live video I see is approximately 15 seconds ahead of the live video I see using the xprotect web client on the same PC (NB. Direct Streaming is being used - I get a little DS notation in the tpo right of the screen.))

Any thoughts anyone as to why this is happening and how to correct?

Thanks,

Simon
Torsten
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:07:19 PM(UTC)
Torsten

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Simon,

This is a bit too complex for this Forum.
Could I ask you to contact Milestone Tech Support and create a support case?

BTW, are you by any chance using 4k cameras?

Best regards,
Torsten
 1 user thanked Torsten for this useful post.
Simon on 2/21/2015(UTC)
Simon
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 6:02:55 PM(UTC)
Simon

Will do - thanks Torsten!

As to cameras, none of them are 4k - there are 2 x 1MP Vivotek's and 6 x 3MP HikVisions (DS-2CD2532F, DS-2CD2132-I DS-2CD2332-I and DS-2CD2732F-I)

Regards,

Simon