Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

SVX
#1 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 6:52:12 AM(UTC)
SVX

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Everyone,

Good Day!

I just want to ask how to setup a transact on a Milestone Server with HP POS. Can you give me idea how to setup this? Basic setup can help me to understand.

Any suggestion and tips can help a lot.

Thanks and Best Regards.
Bo
#2 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 3:34:35 PM(UTC)
Bo

Was thanked: 317 time(s) in 298 post(s)
This is a very old document, and the mentioned serial to TCP -servers might not exist any of them, hope it is useful anyhow:

--
All serial servers that can present the raw data in a Telnet session will work.
Similarly, devices that includes a driver to present itself as a native COM port in Windows will normally work.

I personally have experience with devices from Axis (which I understand is discontinued), Troy (Silex) and Lava (www.lavalink.com). But as I said, most boxes should work.

The steps listed below should help you determine where the problem is:

- It is not necessary to install the Troy as a COM port service to use it with Transact.

In fact, it might disturb more than i helps, so I recommend NOT installing it as a COM port unless the box does not offer a Telnet connection option, or you for other reasons specifically want to use the COM port provider in Transact and not the Troy or Generic Telnet providers we normally use.

So you basically just need to get the box an IP address, Telnet into the box on port 9100 (default fro the Troy), and check he has data through.
If you don't get data you must should check your serial cable connections.

- An easy way to check the Troy box itself is to put a loopback connector on the serial port (shorting pins 2 and 3). All characters typed in the Telnet session should then be 'double' as they are looped back.

Be aware that if you connects/disconnects the serial connector on the Troy while the power is on and/or the Ethernet is plugged in he risks destroying the box, I've done that more than once in locations where the POS terminals where not grounded properly. The loopback test is a nice way to check to see that the hardware is still working.

- So if this works, and it doesn't work with his serial signal from the POS there is something wrong with the wiring, or the terminal doesn't send out anything at all (a common problem with POS systems).

A relatively easy way to check the cables is to connect a PC with Hyper Terminal in place of the POS terminal. Remember to set up Hyper Terminal to the same speed and flow control as the POS station. No flow control is highly recommended! If the cables are OK you can now write from Hyper Terminal to the Telnet session and back. If this doesn't work, the cables are wrong, and you should fix that. If it does work, but doesn't on the POS, the POS is likely not sending out anything, or it is sent out at a different speed and/or flow control - the Troy box and cables are working perfectly.

- You can check if the POS sends out anything at all (and on what pins) if he connects a break-out-box (a small box with LED's indicating which pins are high and low). You should then verify that the transmitter pin from his POS is indeed wired to the receiving pin of the Troy.

In place of the Troy you can use Hyper Terminal on a PC. Usually you will need a null-modem cable between the POS and the Troy/Hyper Terminal PC, but not necessarily always, it depends on how the POS terminal manufacturer has chosen to make his product.

If you are using the cable from the Milestone Troy kit you should be aware that it only works in one direction to protect against blocking data from the POS printer to the till when used with the DP9 tap. The cable should be marked which direction is which. If you are unsure he should use an ohm meter to check that you have connectivity from the POS TX pin to the Troy RX pin (check the hardware documentation for which in is which), and that the ground is not broken.
Yours Sincerely, Bo Andersen
 1 user thanked Bo for this useful post.
SVX on 4/28/2015(UTC)
SVX
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 4:27:47 AM(UTC)
SVX

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Bo,

Thanks for your great suggestion, I will try to do this as what you said. At this moment I'm using different brand of serial server (SOYAL AR-727CM)its quite difficult and confusing because of its configuration. Anyway is it possible to connect a null modem cable directly from servers com port to POS com port? And do I need to put a voltage from POS com port to send data?

Thanks and Best Regards.
Bo
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 9:49:23 AM(UTC)
Bo

Was thanked: 317 time(s) in 298 post(s)
The cable type to use should be documented in the the serial server, it could be wired so that you need a straight cable. It would be wrong of me to guess.
(Perhaps useful - http://digital.ni.com/pu...F67922FA86256F720071DECF)

I am not sure I understand the question about voltage, but is guessing no, the link above about serial cable might tell you what must be connected for the serial communication to work.
Yours Sincerely, Bo Andersen
 1 user thanked Bo for this useful post.
SVX on 4/28/2015(UTC)