Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

JM
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:10:20 PM(UTC)
JM

Hi there.

i have a few questions about the H.264 codec.

1. How do i know if my Milestone server is picking up the H.264 stream from the camera? i mean when i look at whre it says " Video Format " in Milestone it says Mpeg?

2. Is H.264 the prefered codec?

3. Do i need to open the port 554 to be able to stream h.264 or is this just if you connect directly to the camera?

Thanks

Torsten
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:27:28 PM(UTC)
Torsten

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Hej.

ad (1) Admittedly, the naming is not quite consistent. This is partly caused by the fact that "H.264" and "MPEG-4 Part 10" are the same. The one comes from the ITU, the other from the MPEG (Moving Picture Experts Group).

Here a list of synonyms for the two video standards in VMS:
- JPEG, M-JPEG, MJPEG, Motion JPEG
- H.264, MPEG-4 Part 10, AVC

ad (2) There is no preferred code.

ad (3) If the cam is connected directly, no ports need to be opened: Outgoing are usually not blocked, and the responses to them is not a problem either.

Does this help?

Torsten

JM
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2013 9:55:39 PM(UTC)
JM

Thank you for or answers and time, But when it comes to the opening port i am a bit confused.

Exampel: When you want to connect to your Milestone Mobileserver you need to do a "portforwarding" of port 8081 to able to connect from like a 3G connection.

So does this also aply when it comes to the h.264 streaming of the camera?

The cameras are connected bye Router and POE-Switch

Thanks.

Justin
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 12:12:46 PM(UTC)
Justin

Was thanked: 416 time(s) in 376 post(s)
With the mobile server it actually presently transcodes any h264 feed into jpgs for the mobiel client. As such you only require the relative mobiel server port to be forwarded for the webclient and mobiel server access.

If you are using the Smart Client you would require the 554 port forwarding to take a h264 feed.

I hope that is clear.
Kind regards

Justin

Please remember to thank people who assist you by using the thank option at the top of any useful posts.
JM
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 2:18:15 PM(UTC)
JM

Thanks again for your reply Justin.

So what you mean is that if i use the Smart Client i have to do a portforward on the computer holding the server?

But why is it then that i get picture whitout having done a portforwarding when using the Smart Client?

Regards.
Justin
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 2:36:53 PM(UTC)
Justin

well if it's JPg then you don't need to, if its h264 I would expect you do have some form of port 554 access in place.
Kind regards

Justin

Please remember to thank people who assist you by using the thank option at the top of any useful posts.
Niranjan
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 13, 2015 5:15:17 AM(UTC)
Niranjan

Hi Justin,

We have similar issue while accessing cameras from smart client via internet. We are able to login to smart client from remote computer but live video does not stream at smart client. However, we are able to get web client views from the same remote computer.
Mobile clients are also accessible and able to get the live feed from server.
We have ports 80,81,8081,8082 open in firewall at server side. Do we need to open any other ports in the firewall.

Regards,
Niranjan Sharma
Regards,

Niranjan Sharma
Justin
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:15:16 AM(UTC)
Justin

Its not a port issue. The address for the recording server is forwarded to the remote machine (when connecting with the Smart Client. So one of 2 things are "wrong"
1, the internet address or port are incorrect in the server access section of the Management application.
2, The external connection is being masked by your router and shown to be coming from an internal connection, the way to see this is to try and connect via smart client to the machine (remotely) and check the image server log, the log should contain the source address the user logs on from. If its an intenal address then something needs changing ion the router to allow Milestone to see the connection is external.

The Mobile server "gateways" and transcode the feeds so port forwarding is really all that is required for this to work. As such its not surprising there is no issue here.
Kind regards

Justin